The Next Time You Have a Panic Attack, Will You Be Able to Find Help?

anxiety I was parked outside a patient's home. My mind was spiraling. I had never had a panic attack this bad. My heart was racing, and so was my mind. There was absolutely no reason for my mind to be having the thoughts I was having. I had it in my head that two people who I thought considered me a friend were conspiring against me. There was a meeting earlier that morning in which the three of us were present. My two friends were talking to each other but appeared to be ignoring me. They went to lunch together without inviting me. I was sure I was losing my friends. No normal brain would have gone down the path my brain was going.  I was paralyzed and realized I needed help.

anxietyI had not seen a therapist in three years, so I had to do a little research to find someone. I called around to three or four therapists. As a new patient there was a 6-7 week wait period before I could get in. I finally managed to find a therapist who was available the next day, and according to the office they took my insurance. After four visits I got a bill for $500 and was told by my insurance that therapist was not in-network. I called my employee assistance program, and they said I didn't qualify for any assistance. To qualify I would have to require services that I could not get from an in-network provider. I was certain the fact that all in-network providers had a 6-7 week wait period qualified me, but I guess I was wrong.

       This was not the first time I had a problem getting in to see a therapist. This raises a very serious problem in the mental health community. If I am calling to see a therapist for the first time it is usually an urgent situation. I think this is pretty common. You do pretty well for awhile and stop seeing a therapist. Or you never needed one before. Then you have a crisis and call to see someone. You're then told you have to waited  6-7 weeks before you can be seen, but if this is really an urgent matter you can go to the hospital. This is a serious problem. I have experienced this in California and in Wisconsin, and the problem has been with two of the largest health care providers in the nation. Something needs to be done to improve access to mental health professionals. I'm sure I am not the only person this has happened to.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The 5 Books You Need to Read Right Now if You Have Mental Illness

How I Battled Against Depression Fatigue and Won to Take My Girls on a Daddy-Daughter Date!

The Stigma of Depression and All Mental Illness Needs to End Now, and It Ends by Talking About It!